Middle School Guidance
What is a School Counselor?
There are three major roles that a counselor serves our school:
Individual Student Planning
- Assists all students, individually or in groups, with developing academic,
career and personal/social skills, goals and plans.
- Interpret and utilize student data.
- Collaborate with parents/guardians and educators to assist students with educational and
- Conduct counseling sessions with students.
- Guide students in developing goals based on individual data and other relevant information.
Preventive and Responsive Services
- Provide individual and group counseling to students with identified concerns and needs.
- Consult and collaborate effectively with parents/guardians, teachers, administrators and other
educational/community resources regarding students with identified concerns and needs.
- Implement an effective referral and follow-up process.
- Utilize assessment procedures for determining and structuring individual and group counseling
- Provide appropriate information to staff related to the comprehensive school counseling program.
- Assist teachers, parents/guardians and other stakeholders in interpreting and understanding
- Participate in professional development activities to improve knowledge and skills.
- Adhere to laws, policies, procedures, and ethical standards of the school counseling profession.